Archive

Archive for the ‘Exploration’ Category

The Rare Panda of Chosain

April 28, 2016 2 comments

A rare panda boss spawns in Chosain, just southwest of the bamboo grove in the central part of the playfield (the one where you go as part of the quest chain to obtain your tiger mount from the Tamarin Tigers faction). I first heard of it (and of the unique thrown weapon that drops from it) when people were talking about it in the comments of my “About” page; since then I occasionally rode past that bamboo forest on purpose every now and then but never had any luck seeing it. So, more recently, I decided to look for it a little more deliberately, and yesterday I finally found it.


Take that, WWF!

There is a tiger mob (Wildwood Stalker) patrolling slowly south of that bamboo grove. If you kill it, it can take quite a long time to respawn, up to 2.5 hours when I was killing it. The impression I have is that this mob is a placeholder for the panda boss, so when you kill it (or you enter a new instance of the playfield), there’s a small chance that the panda boss will spawn in its place instead of a new tiger. The patrolling tiger spawns around (455, 755) and then moves in a sort of rectangle south and east of there.

So getting the panda to appear seems to be mostly a matter of killing that tiger again and again, and waiting for a very long time between the respawns. I was mostly standing at the nearby rock at (435, 775) and waiting, alt-tabbed away from the game. When the tiger respawns, its patrol route will soon bring it close enough to this location that it will aggro you, so I was simply standing there in defensive stance and checking back every few minutes to see if the tiger showed up or not. With some luck, I found find it nibbling on my guardian so I could kill it, but sometimes it had already managed to kill me by the time I got back into the game.

On one occasion I found my guardian dead but the combat log showed that she had been getting hit by a Panda, not by the Wildwood Stalker, which confirmed that I was on the right track 🙂 Unfortunately, the panda had already despawned by then. After another day or two of waiting, I finally got lucky and alt-tabbed back into the game just as the panda was attacking me, so I could finally kill it.

The Panda was a level 83 boss and according to my combat log, it had around 22225 HP, which is just as one would expect from a level 83 Khitai boss. There’s a nice video on youtube where someone’s fighting the panda on a barbarian and almost gets killed by it 🙂 so I was sort of expecting a harder fight than it turned out to be. (Incidentally, that video also shows that the panda appears in a sort of impromptu miniature bamboo grove, which then promptly disappears. I didn’t see that one myself, probably because it was already gone by the time I had alt-tabbed back into the game.)


The panda boss does have a few interesting abilities: occasionally it casts a buff called Bamboo Grove (+20% evade chance, +50 damage deflection for 20 sec) and eventually it got another buff called Shadow Style (-30% movement multiplier, +50% damage multiplier for 25 sec). Its white hits are crushing damage, but it also has an attack called Bamboo Paddle, which does slashing damage. When you kill it, you get a 12-hour debuff called Panda Killer (-500 charisma), same as from killing the panda pet in the new Pit Master’s Arena. (Charisma, of course, is a joke stat that doesn’t actually do anything. IIRC it appears in some other places in the game, possibly from one of the whores in Tarantia Common District.)


(Click to enlarge.)

Another interesting thing about the panda boss is that it drops a thrown weapon called Bamboo Javelin with a unique 3-d model. Thrown weapons, of course, are largely a joke as well; they had some use in the very early times of the game, when most classes couldn’t use bows or crossbows until level 40, soldiers didn’t have the Irritate ability yet, so for some classes a thrown weapon was the only way they could pull a mob from range. But after these things were changed in update 1.05 or so, thrown weapons are mostly interesting as some sort of easter eggs, and by the time the Khitai expansion was released, the devs seemed to see them in such a light as well.


(Click to enlarge.)

There is another famous joke thrown weapon in Khitai, namely The Rock (which drops from the somewhat uncommon mini boss in the Den of the Crowmen). I was naturally curious how the stats on these two thrown weapons compare. It turns out that The Rock is very defensively oriented (306 armor, 130 con, 99 hit rtg, but only 35.1 DPS) whereas the Bamboo Javelin is much more aggressive (62.3 DPS — twice as much as The Rock! — 86 hit rtg, 89 crit rtg, 93 crit dmg rtg, 61 hate increase rtg).